Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Wild Kingdom...

I hesitate to tell you about my adventure of the day because it is totally unbelievable. If you have been reading the blog the past few days you have read the story of the bird visitors. So today out of the corner of my eye I noticed something going across the floor. I thought it was another bird, but when I checked all the windows there was no hysterical animal slamming itself against the glass so I thought it must have been a leaf that blew in. I went on an errand, came home, and started painting the counter tops in the master bathroom. When I was finished I turned around to find a little CHIPMUNK standing in the middle of the bedroom!

You have got to be kidding me! Is he friends with the birds? How can an animal just come through the door? Aren't they supposed to be scared of people? I've left the door at my house open before to get the mail or the garbage can, and I have never came back to find a zoo in my home!

You may not be aware of this, but chipmunks are much harder to catch than birds. I spent the next hour and a half trying to shoo him out the open doors. It was almost impossible. I did not talk to him in a sweet tone. I did not try to be his friend. I had had enough of nature. I put on my thick gloves, grabbed my broom and came up with a plan.

By this time the chipmunk had discovered he could fit under the kitchen cabinets. He would stay under for a while and then come out look at me and head back under when I moved. How can I lure him out the back door? I opened the back door as wide as it would go. Then I blocked off the large doorway between the kitchen and the rest of the house with a shutter door. (The hated shutter doors have now become my ally.) I quietly walked over by the cabinets and stood there quietly, not moving, not making a sound, and waiting for my furry friend. When he popped out from under the cabinets I didn't make a move. I waited until he had moved further away from his hiding spot. Waiting, waiting, waiting... and then MAKE LOTS OF NOISE!!!! He went running right into the shutter door and out the back door! Yeah! I won and the chipmunk lost.
Later I noticed that stupid chipmunk just sitting on the back patio by the door. I think he was waiting for another chance to come in for a visit. No way!

Moving day is in 4 days. Hopefully I can keep the Wild Kingdom at bay until then.
Here's a picture of the new counters in the master bathroom. I really like the dark brown color. There is also new tile, painted cabinets, mirror, light fixture and paint. I can see why the chipmunk wanted to have a peek :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment