Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blessings in bins and basements...

Today I went to Mike's Merchandise and was delightfully surprised to find bin after bin of cabinet hardware. All the hardware was priced at 99 cents, which is very inexpensive compared to the price at Lowe's or Home Depot. It just so happens that the new house needs all new hardware for the kitchen and bathroom cabinets... so I started hunting. In case you are counting, there are about 26 giant orange bins full of random drawer pulls and knobs and other things that I really couldn't identify.
I dug through almost every bin trying to find a set of matching hardware. I felt like I was in some kind of challenge on Survivor, except I was wearing too much clothing to be in one of their challenges :-)


Two hours later, I had 26 of these cool pulls (they remind me of the handle end of silverware). I'm not a fan of brass, but they are high quality and will look great with a coat of black paint.
These are for the kitchen.





And a couple of these for the guest bathroom.
(I found the exact knob online for $5.98.)








And these for the master bathroom.
(I know it looks a little like a hair barrette in this picture, but they are actually very nice.)

Altogether I spent about $33. for cabinet hardware for the entire house, including black paint for the brass knobs.


There were certainly blessings in those big orange bins, but that wasn't the only blessing of the day. One of the sweet ladies in our church asked me to come by and look at some of the things in her basement and see if I could use any for my new home. I was a little apprehensive at first. After all, I've been in a few attics and basements and I have always found their contents to be a bit scary. I was completely wrong. This sweet lady had a basement full of beautiful antiques and goodies she had saved for years. Many of them were family treasures and had amazing stories. I was completely humbled that she would want to give them to me. The body of Christ can be such a blessing. Thank you! (pictures of these refurbished goodies will come soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment